Last week I experimented with a tofu coconut rice claypot recipe and ended up with half a can of leftover coconut milk. It was just a can of coconut milk that didn’t cost more than $1.29 at the grocery store but… I hate wasting.
A quick search on All Recipes and low and behold.. a new recipe to try! My first curry!
Curry doesn’t photograph sexy, but it sure is tasty.
Curried Coconut Chicken
Adapted from Allrecipes
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin and cut into chunks
- Salt & Pepper
- 1-2 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 tbs curry powder
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 red pepper
- 2 gloves garlic, crushed and rough chopped
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1/2 can coconut milk
Heat the oil and curry powder over med-high heat for about 5 mins. You’ll smell when it’s cooked — the curry smell deepens and intensifies. Add the onion, cook to translucent. Add red pepper, garlic, and tomato sauce. Simmer for 2 minutes. Add coconut milk and 1/2c water. Bring to a simmer.
Season chicken with S&P. Once your broth starts to simmer, add chicken. Bring your curry to a low boil. Pop on the lid and simmer at a low-med heat. Stir occasionally and be ready to eat in 45-60 mins!
Can serve over rice, vegetables, or with a side of pita or naan.
- Chicken, onion, and red pepper are all sliced into 1×1 inch pieces. By doing this to the onion and pepper, it made ’em melt in your mouth after cooking!
- This recipe is for a brothy/soupy curry. If you like yours less brothy, you may want to add a thickener.
- This tasted WAY better on the second day. It was also spicier.